Watch the following BtN story:
Answer the following comprehension questions in your Reading book:
Summarise the story.
1: Where is Mt Ruapehu?
2: Why are eruptions at Mt Ruapehu particularly dangerous?
3: What is the name of the mudflow caused by the eruption?
4: What can trigger the mudflow?
5: How often does Mt Ruapehu erupt?
6: How do scientists monitor the volcano’s activity?
7: What is seismic monitoring?
8: A flow that starts at the top of the mountain can be _________ bigger by the time it reaches the volcano’s base.
9: Name 3 facts you have learnt from this BtN story.
Draw a cross section of a volcano showing the following features:
crater, magma, chamber, lava flow, ash cloud, vent, dike, sill, mantile
Click on the link below and watch the BTN story ‘Wild Weather’ then answer the questions below in your English book.
You might like to use these links to further develop your answers.
Bureau of Meteorology – Climate Zones Australia
Bureau of Meteorology – About Tropical Cyclones
Behind the News – Wild Weather
ABC News – Oswald creates weather chaos in Queensland (photos)
ABC Catalyst – Taking our temperature
CSIRO – Extreme Events
NSW Education and Communities – Under the Microscope: Climate Change
1. Summarise the Wild Weather story.
2. What Australian states have recently been hit with extreme weather?
3. What types of extreme weather did these parts of Australia experience?
4. What is the name of the ex-tropical cyclone that recently hit the coast of Queensland?
5. Due to flooding, thousands of people in Bundaberg recently had to ___________ their homes.
6. In the BtN story, Sarah wanted to find out why we are getting all this wild weather so she visited the Bureau of:
a. Meteorology b. Archaeology c. Astronomy
7. Why would you normally see more cyclones in summer?
8. What factors can increase the severity of a bushfire?
9. How did this story make you feel?
Click on the link below and watch the BtN story. Then you need to complete the focus questions in your language book. Remember to either write the question AND the answer or the question IN the answer.